Tuesday 6 September 2011

Il est où, Doudou? (Where's Doudou?)

I am so excited to sit down and write this post.

Poppette understands French!!!!

I have no idea why I am so suprised - afterall, I have been speaking French to her since she was around 3 months old (so for the past 8 months of her life). Still, it was such a shock when I first realised.

Without doubt she understands the following:

"Il est où, Doudou" - (where's Doudou (her little lamb comforter)) - when I ask her this question, she looks all over until she can see him then crawls over to wherever he happens to be and grabs him. So now we often play a game where I show here Doudou, then put him in a box or behind a toy or something, then I ask where he is and she sets of to retrieve him. Brilliant!!!

"Elle est où, la lumière" - (where's the light) - when I ask her this she looks straight up to the light fitting in whichever room we happen to be in and holds her hand up towards it.

I'm also pretty sure she understands "encore" (more) and "fini" (finished).

Actually, in my more excitable moments I sometimes wonder if I might have just heard her say "ouais" (yeah) but then I am not sure that this is really possible at the tender age of 11 months....

4 comments:

  1. Hi, where are you based? I ask because I am also bringing up my son aged 3 and daughter 3 months non-native bilingually in French and would love to meet/email others doing same. We are in east London. I'd be particularly interested in sharing info about good resources available on amazon uk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nesomja - it's so great to hear from you. Thank you so much for getting in touch. I have sent you an email and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is such an exciting moment when you come to the realization that your child understands your "other" language! Especially when it's a whole sentence or question. As you say, it shouldn't be a big surprise... and yet somehow it is. Or maybe it's the sheer joy that this is actually working :) I remember when I told my son to watch out for his fingers in German. When he moved them out of the way, I stood there in shock and amazement. It's just fantastic to watch them learn and grow, especially in your non-native language!

    ReplyDelete