Tuesday 26 April 2011

Winning the (Language Swap) Lottery

A few months ago in a bid to increase both mine and Poppette's exposure to the French language, I came up with two ideas:-
1) find or set up a French playgroup; and
2) arrange a language swap i.e. find someone who wants to learn, practice or improve their English and help them in exchange for them doing likewise for me.
So far, the issue of the playgroup has been a little frustrating. I had several people contact me initially only to vanish into thin air. This could definitely take a whole lot of effort and patience on my part if it's ever going to happen. Good job i started thinking about it now whilst Poppette is still so young.
The language swap has been a whole different kettle of fish. I had started to think this was a non-starter when, three months after placing my ad, the only approach I had had was from some guy living in a different city who wanted to get to know me better via webcam . . . Hmmm
Then out of the blue I received an email from a woman wanting to know if i was still looking for a language swap. We met last week and I feel like I have won the language swap lottery. Not only have I found a swap but I think I may also have found a new friend. We got on instantly and she loved Poppette too ( naturally :-) ).

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your language swap has worked out. Maybe that is the approach I will try.

    I initially placed an ad for a 1 hour lunch/language exchange on craisglist but that hasn't gotten me very far. I figured that i could buy lunch for 1 hour of conversation with a native speaker.

    But a language swap may work out better. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TongueTales - it's great to see that you continue to follow our story and thanks for taking time to leave a comment.

    The woman who contacted me to do a language swap happened to be a student studying English at the university in my city. We found each other through Gumtree (similar to the Craiglist I think), but it could also be worthwhile you contacting the language dept. of your local uni to see whether if there is anyone similar near you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to read that you've taken the initiative to make this stuff happen. I'm definitely inspired, thank you! I've done this a bit with some of the German women in my playgroup...it ebbs and flows, but it's definitely worth the efforts you put in! I hope you share some details, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tamara - I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete